January 5, 2010

How To: Make Betty Rolls

My family has been ordering our Thanksgiving dinner from a restaurant ever since I can remember. However, we do make one thing from scratch; Betty Rolls. The recipe for these yeasty rolls was developed by my grandmother, Betty, and produces rolls that are transcendent and a true tradition in my family. Here's the recipe:

1. Combine the following at a low speed: 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp. salt, 2 packages yeast, 1/2 cup softened butter
2. Add: 2 cups hot water (120-130 degrees) and 1 egg, mix at medium speed for 2 minutes
3. Add: 3/4 c. flour until it forms a thick batter
4. Stir in: Flour until it the mixture is a soft dough (approx. 2 1/2 cups)
5. Knead for 10 mins.
6. Let the dough rise for about 90 mins. and punch it down and shape into rolls
7. Let dough rise again for another 90 mins.
8. Bake at 425 for 15-20 mins. (My dad likes the ones that get really brown on the top and develop a crust, my mom and I like when the rolls are really doughy and chewy, almost raw)
9. Brush rolls with melted butter immediately after taking the rolls out of the oven

Watch this video my cousin made of us making Betty Rolls this year.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud that you're sharing your Texan roots with the world.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I once took a personality test that told me I was a perfectionist and I thought the test was flawed. True story.

Followers