October 22, 2009

Product Appreciation: Pilot P500 Pen

I first learned of this pen from a high school classmate that made beautiful drawings. One day, we were talking about pens and when he let me try one of his P500s the way I thought about pens changed forever.

In my opinion, the Pilot P500 pen is the best all-around inexpensive disposable pen ever created. The ink comes out smoothly without being too inky or prone to skipping. The point is unique because it's fine but very sturdy and doesn't bend under the pressure of hard writing but also isn't so sharp that it feels scratchy. Now, I know that the design of my beloved P500 is well...ugly and the caps tend to crack making them impossible to close. But no matter, I would choose a single P500 with a cracked cap over over 1,000 gold-dipped Bic ballpoints any day.

Sadly, since my love affair began it has become increasingly difficult to find the P500. Of course, you can buy them online (here) or if you live in New York, you can find them at University Stationery (28 E. 12th St.).


3 comments:

  1. Very nice, its fascinating that you got to know this pen through school and you have loved it since, they are good pens arn't they :)

    I have tweeted this short review for you on twitter, to see what I wrote please see this page: http://twitter.com/TigerPens

    Thank you for the great read!

    Tiger Pens

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite ballpoint is
    the Pentel R.S.V.P. fine
    Not very elegant, but smooth and I love the line it writes. Easy to find at Staples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review; I totally agree. Don't know why they are seldom in store, but no problem on line.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I once took a personality test that told me I was a perfectionist and I thought the test was flawed. True story.

Followers

Blog Archive