September 11, 2009

Penguin Publishing's Color Code

Arranging books according to color has become quite popular and looks great. However, it is a method that can result in placing paleontology next to poetry and novels next to non-fiction, a troubling thought indeed! That's why I adore the color-coding system that Penguin has been using 1935, wherein each genre is assigned a color and the spine (and sometimes the cover) of works within that genre are printed in the designated color. Just think of how delicious a shelf of candy-colored, color-coded Penguins would look between shelves of National Geographics with their lemon drop spines, yum!
The Penguin code is as follows:
Red = Drama
Orange = Fiction
Yellow = Miscellaneous
Green = Crime Fiction
Dark Blue = Autobiographies
Purple = Essays
Cerise = Travel and Adventure
Grey = World Affairs
For more info check out: Phil Baines' book, Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
(photo from Eifion on Flickr)

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting! I wanted to write something about color coding for my blog. Now this piece of information is what I required to write it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I once took a personality test that told me I was a perfectionist and I thought the test was flawed. True story.

Followers