September 30, 2009

How To: Make a Knot Trivet

Design*Sponge had directions for how to make this knot trivet a while back and I finally made it. Honestly, I wasn't really in need of a trivet but I just thought it looked so great that I wanted to try it and I'm really quite pleased with it, if I do say so myself.
The Design*Sponge directions are really helpful but here are a few supplementary pointers:
-I used cotton clothesline rope that's 7/32" thick
-Follow the pictures and keep everything loose. Then when you run out of rope, tighten it using the long end but not too tight because the slack will need to be threaded through and you need space for that
-Wrap masking tape around the ends of the rope to keep it from fraying while you are making the trivet (like they do in the pictures) but then... mark the tape on the the short end with a pen because it's easy to confuse the two ends mid-project
-I attempted the "Common Whipping" method to seal the ends of the rope when I was done, not sure I did it quite right but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere. If I do this project again, I would like to try something that looks a bit more polished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I once took a personality test that told me I was a perfectionist and I thought the test was flawed. True story.

Followers