September 29, 2009

Methods/Systems: Japan's Female-Only Subway Cars

Paul, my buddy and seventh-grade lab partner, just moved to Tokyo. When I asked him about the systems there, the former Jeopardy! contestant told me that the female-only subway cars are his "personal fave" and kindly sent me these pictures (I especially like the one with the man in the surgical mask). Paul explained that this system, designated with a pink stripe painted the subway platform, is a tactic being used to reduce the instances of public groping and the train cars that stop parallel to the stripe during rush hour are reserved for female passengers. He mentioned that this policy has also been applied to other places. For example, areas with several photo booths might have a few booths marked with a "Women Only" sign.
Thank you Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I once took a personality test that told me I was a perfectionist and I thought the test was flawed. True story.

Followers