September 16, 2009

Industry Standard: Angostura Bitters


I was thinking of posting about Angostura bitters and then I saw Rita Konig's article* and I took it as a sign and decided it was time.

The product was created in 1824 by Dr. J.G.B. Siegert. According to the company's website, Siegert had "adventure ringing in his ears" and went to Venezuela where Simone Bolivar named him Surgeon-General of a military hospital in the town of Angostura. Siegert intended for his secret formula to be a natural remedy for a variety of illnesses. The company cites Angostura as being both a mosquito repellent and a cure for sea-sickness.

I'm not sure that I really like the taste of bitters. However, I do know that I love the design of the Angostura bottle, with it's cheery yellow cap and turtleneck label that reminds me of the small print at the bottom of a Fellini movie poster.
*Ms. Konig's article discusses her preference for ice created using an ice cube tray over store-bought ice. If you are in the market for an ice cube tray, may I recommend the Good Grips Ice Cube Tray with Lid? This tray has a lid which prevents your ice from tasting/smelling like your freezer, allows you to stack items atop the tray and keeps the ice cubes from slipping out of the mold and flying into the air while loosening them from the tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I once took a personality test that told me I was a perfectionist and I thought the test was flawed. True story.

Followers